What you need to know about a HRIS system
All business can benefit from an HR system, no matter the size or the budget. This blog talks about how you can implement a HRIS system for your business.
What is a HRIS system
A HRIS or Human Recourse Information System is an online of locally hosted piece of software that contains a database where all the Employee data is stored.
This system helps the HR team and the Employees to have access to their data, and the HR Processes by electronic means.
The HRIS system also stores private and personal information about each employee, making sure that the Human Resources department always has access to the newest information about an Employee.
Who needs an HRIS system
It might sound like an overkill, but all businesses need to invest in a HRIS system as early as possible. There are a few reasons for this:
- If you implement the HRIS system as early as the start of the business, it means that your budget includes the expense and the expense grows with the company, making easier to budget for something that already has an expense line in the budget.
- If the HRIS System is in place before the growth of scalle of the business, it means that new staff simply adopt an existing process and fall in with what everyone else is already doing.
- The earlier you start having a HR practice in place, the earlier it forces the business to implement Policies that govern how employees should work. Although Policies are sometimes frowned upon, they do introduce structure that help Employees feel safe and secure and increases Employee engagement.
What does the HRIS system need to do
HRIS systems have different features and benefits, each offering its own unique value proposition. But, at the core of an HRIS it needs to do a basic set of HR and Information features, below is a list of features any HRIS system must offer its clients:
- Master data management (MDM).
- Organizational management, such as positions and departments.
- Employee and manager self-services.
- Absence and leave management.
- Benefits administration.
- Performance appraisals.
- Recruiting and applicant tracking.
- Compensation management.
- Training tracking
- Reporting and basic analytics.
Have a look at the list of HRSimplified Features to see if it will work for your business
How do I get my own HRIS system
As they always say, Google is your friend… A quick search on the internet will find a list of HRIS systems, all you need to do it compare them and decide.
To come up with a check list, look at the list below.
- Make a list of what features you need in your business.
- Make a list of new features you will need as the company grows. You might not need it now, but you might need it when you grow past a specific size or Employee count.
- Find out what regulatory reports needs to be submitted for your business based on your size or industry, then see if the HRIS supports it. Have a look at our guide for small business checklist.
- Have a look at the data you currently have available on Employees and try and structure it in such a way that you can compare it with the data storage of the HRIS system.
- Look at the onboarding process for the HRIS system, what do they offer to import your data or do you have to load it yourself
- What do they charge per Employee, or is there a comparable price with other systems
- Look at the countries that they support, there are different regulations in different countries.
- Now that you have some information, create a shortlist of 3 to 5 products.
- Ask for a Demo to see how they respond and quick quickly you can get to the information
- In the Demo ask a few questions to ensure you understand what they offer:
- Do you offer a Free Trial with Support
- Are there any hidden costs for X, Y or Z?
- How much do you charge for onboarding
- How long does the average onboarding of a company our size take?
- Make your decision based on your information
Now that you have enough information to decide, you can see how important it is to have data available to make decisions. A HRIS will do the same for your business, with Employee and people data at hand, you can make informed decisions and you will have happy Employees that feel the business is transparent and honest.
If you want to book a demo with HRSimplifed visit out Book a Demo form.